1.B 2.D 3.B 4.C 5.B 6.C 7.A 8.A 9.B 10.D 11.B 12.D 13.B 14.C 15.D
I. 1.D 2.A 3.A 4.C 5.B
Comprehension of the Text
1.D 2.B 3.C 4.D 5.A 6.C 7.A 8.B
1. sake 2. sacrificed 3. crack 4. pursuing 5. explosive
6. overcome 7. indicated 8. opponents 9. stripped 10. denied
1. Natasha made herself stand out in the group interview by acting as the leader in her group.
2. To be successful, you need a careful plan, good luck, help at the right time, and above all, hard work.
3. They are not doing this to gain recognition or money; they are doing this for the sake of society.
4. It was actually what he said rather than what he did that made me sad.
5. Once my mother sets her mind on something, it will be very hard to stop her.
6. Years of research had set the stage for their success in their field.
7. Local people are used to the phenomenon, so they are not surprised at all.
8. Today at this meeting we are going to focus on the question of air pollution.
9. He never expected that his best friend would charge him with cheating in the exam.
10. His parents were so strict with him in his studies that he had little time to participate in any activities outside of class.
Marriage across the Nations
I. Language study
A. New words and Expressions:
ups and downs: the changing of good and bad luck
E.g. He stuck by her through all life's ups and downs.
Like most married couples we've had our ups and downs, but life is like that.
weaknesses and strengths: weak points or strong points; merits and demerits
E.g. You’d better to be aware of the weaknesses and strengths of your theory
be involved with: concern oneself with; be concerned with
E.g. The whole world is involved with the battle against this financial crisis.
work out: (1) vi. have as a result, turn out, happen or progress in a certain way